A Principle Driven Life

The purpose of this project is to put into words the basic principles that I believe in. Though time may change these principles will not; they are concrete and cast in reason, logic, common sense, and divine influence. While this project is intended purely for my own benefit, to help me sort out my thoughts, you are welcome to view it and comment as you see fit.

Basically this is a blueprint of the foundation of my belief system.

Sunday, July 17, 2005

An Introduction

What are you doing?

I intend to document my beliefs on a variety of subjects, from religious to social issues. The idea came about from a book about Ayn Rand I read. It was described that she had a journal in which she recorded, at a very young age, all of the beliefs that she formed. She finished it in her teens and, according to the book, even though as her years went on she would fine tune each idea, the basic principles she believed never changed. While my opinions and those of Ms. Rand are not all the same, it has inspired me to try and recreate what she achieved.

The format will be simple; I'll title a post with a general subject, for example, "God", then attempt to define what I believe about this subject. If done correctly, none of these principles should contradict each other, and when applied they should form the basis by which I vote, raise my children, work, and live my everyday life.

Why are you doing this?

I have found that people tend to form their opinions based on reaction and emotion rather than logic and reason. That is to say they will look at a particular subject and make conclusions based on how they feel and what they see directly in front of them rather than being based on what they have established as truth for themselves in the past. That's not to say that a person views on a topic should never change, but I believe that there are principles that every person should hold to as their beliefs, and that these principles should be applied to everyday situations to form our opinions rather than making emotional decisions that change with time or public opinion.

The effectual purpose of this project is to keep me from falling into this pattern. It is my hope that if I can put all of my ideas to print, it will help me define and refine my opinions; that I will be better equipped to defend my views, even if they go against popular opinion.

What's the time line?

Well, there is none. I'm not a particularly intelligent guy, and writing is a pretty painstaking task for me. Some of the topics at hand will be easy and not take much time or explanation, while others will need a complex post and plenty of research. I really have no idea what type of time span will be between each post. My goal is to update this project with at least one topic per week, but with life such as it is, we'll see how it goes.

This sounds boring.

Probably, yes. But then it's not really meant for the entertainment of others. I'm doing this for purely selfish reasons, and while you're welcome to read and comment, I'll be writing these with the understanding that this blog wont have many readers.

9 Comments:

Blogger Crystal Starr said...

I think this new blog is great and I can't wait to more. You really impress me and I love your passion and thirst for truth. I am dieing to know what the first topic will be.

By the way I had so much fun with you and your parents tonight. Your heart and mind blow me away. How did I get so lucky to get you for my husband!?!

12:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott,
This will be interesting. I always wondered what was in your head and heart and now it is finally coming out. It will be awesome to get to know you better this way. The more I get to know you, the more I like you.

Thank you,
Love Mom

9:25 AM  
Blogger Crystal Starr said...

Write you first topic.

=oD (don't you just love people who use smilley faces!)

6:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So where are the pictures?

10:52 AM  
Blogger Crystal Starr said...

"My goal is to update this project with at least one topic per week"

It's been 13 days since this post.

*sigh*

7:25 PM  
Blogger Crystal Starr said...

Scott this will be such a great blog if you actually start to use it!

I love you.

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is a good thing if you look at things for "a blueprint of the foundation of my belief system." Personally you can't top the bible. Lately I have been try to memorize scripture verses,.... may sound crazy, but why not?

I just learned these three......
Romans 3:23 All have sinned and fall short of the glory of the Lord.
Rom. 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 10:13 All who call on the name of the Lord will be saved.
It amazes me that something so simple is so hard for a lot of people to see, why me? Why do I understand it? I guess it is because I put myself in a situation where I went to a Bible believing Church for several weeks in a row, I just listened to what he had to say. The message is soo simple, yet many don't see it?
I guess that is why I continue to say "God is good, All the time."
Who else can I say that about? Not you or I.

As your father I am very proud of you for posting a web page such as this.

Love Dad

2:16 PM  
Blogger Crystal Starr said...

POST SOMETHING!

>:( <<< angry eyes!

12:00 PM  
Blogger Crystal Starr said...

*sigh*

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home